- Everyone wants to make movies.
- Everyone wants to be a film director.
Here's the problem:
- Films depreciate in value over time, like cars.
- Film libraries, however, appreciate over time, like houses.
- Film directors are employees.
- Film producers are employers.
And as we all know:
- Employees are dependent on an income stream.
- Employers create, and thus have more control over, income streams.
- Film directors make movies.
- Film producers own movies.
This is why:
- I direct my own movies because it's a life dream.
- I own my movies to retain control over how my movies make money.
But don't forget:
- We are still in a war over how best to monetize digital entertainment.
- As content proliferates across the internet, the rules over digital ownership must adapt.