Saturday, February 04, 2006

Pretty Penny

The creation of paper and metal objects to use as money... it fascinates me. Did you know the U.S. government rejected putting a hologram on its paper bills because each hologram they tried didn't pass their most stringent test, a contraption which brutally wraps a dollar bill over on itself about a billion times? Did you know that the newer bill designs have larger faces on them because larger faces are statistically easier to detect as a counterfeit?

Thus, it seemed serendipitous when someone sent me this brilliant penny recognition quiz, and I was delighted to have guessed it correctly, even if it took a good five minutes doing a process of elimination and some calm reckoning from my mind's eye.

If you like currency as much as I, amble over to Wheresgeorge.com for some extra fun.

No comments: